Two-Minute Teaching

[ver abajo para español]

The building across the street from the church at 1916 N. Phillips Avenue is presently occupied by the Boys’ and Girls’ Club. The building was constructed in 1925. It was built as a Social Center where young people could engage in activities such as bowling or basketball and develop a closer tie with the church. Fr. Pius, the pastor, had also installed a movie picture machine that attracted many youth. These features would also raise money which the parish needed not only for the building, but also because the population of the parish was beginning to decline.

A great mystery about the building has to do with a swimming pool. The history of the parish records that the idea of a swimming pool was attractive for the youth. It was decided to pour the concrete for the pool, but to leave the completion of the pool to a later date. That later date never happened; neither did the pool, despite popular belief that the building once contained a swimming pool. With this addition to the project, the entire cost of the building in 1925 was $60,000. With delays in construction and bad weather, the price increased to over $75,000.

In February of 1926, Fr. Pius rolled the first bowling ball down the alley to open the Social Center. The bowling alley became a popular center for many groups in the city. Likewise, the gym, opening in 1926, was considered one of the best in the city, and many groups chose the gym for their basketball games. St. Francis School also benefited from the gym as a site for gym classes for students.

Español:

El edificio a cruzar la calle de la iglesia el diecinueve, dieciséis norte de la avenida Phillips ahora está ocupado por el Club de Niños y Niñas. El edificio fue construido en mil novecientos veinte cinco. Fue construido como un Centro Social donde los jóvenes podían participar en actividades como bolear o el baloncesto y desarrollar una relación más cercana con la iglesia. El Padre Pio, el párroco, también había instalado una máquina de imágenes de películas que atraía a muchos jóvenes. Estos detalles también recaudarían dinero que la parroquia necesitaba mucho, no solo para el edificio, sino porque la población de la parroquia estaba empezando a declinar.    

Un gran misterio acerca del edificio tenía que ver con una piscina. La historia de la parroquia dice que la idea de una piscina era atractiva a los jóvenes. Se decidió a verter el hormigón para la piscina, pero dejar el resto de la piscina para un tiempo más adelante. Eso nunca pasó; tampoco la piscina, a pesar de la creencia popular que el edificio una vez contenía una piscina. Con esta adición al proyecto, el costo entero del edificio en mil novecientos veinte y cinco era sesenta mil dólares. Con retrasos en la construcción y mal clima, el precio subió a más que setena y cinco mil dólares.

En febrero del mil novecientos veinte y seis, el Padre Pio rodó la primera bola de boliche para abrir el Centro Social. La bolera se hizo un centro popular para muchos grupos en la ciudad. Igualmente, el gimnasio, abriendo en mil novecientos veinte y seis, fue considerado uno de los mejores en la ciudad, y muchos grupos escogieron el gimnasio para sus juegos de baloncesto. La Escuela de San Francisco también se benefició del gimnasio como lugar para sus estudiantes tomar clase de gimnasio.