History of St. Francis Parish: Origins of the Capuchins in Milwaukee, Part 4

[ver abajo para español]

History of St. Francis Parish: Origins of the Capuchins in Milwaukee

The early German Catholics wasted no time in constructing this church of St. Francis. Bishop Henni was still in Rome attending the First Vatican Council when the church building was dedicated on July 31, 1870. The Germans may have wasted no time, but it was Capuchins who were the actual builders! Brother Felix, soon after his arrival to St. Francis, put his carpenter skills to work on the new building. There is no evidence that a contractor was hired to do the building, so it may be entirely the work of Brother Felix. Another friar, Father Pascal, did most of the lathing and plastering.

Historic illustration of St. Francis Parish, view from Brown and Vel R. Phillips

The new church was extremely simple, reflecting Capuchin poverty. There were two side altars with statues. The main altar, a wooden structure, had a statue of St. Francis. The church was very bare, looking more like an undecorated hall which held about 600 people.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between a church and a parish. While a church was now attached to the monastery, it was not yet a parish, as Bishop Henni was still in Rome until November of 1870. But once again wasting no time, the German leaders in the community responded to Bishop Henni’s request for at least 100 names of people who supported the idea of a new German Catholic parish on the north side of Milwaukee. Once the bishop returned from Rome, the work began to have the church recognized as an official parish in the city of Milwaukee.

Español:

Los tempranos católicos alemanes no perdieron tiempo en construir la iglesia de San Francisco. El Obispo Henni todavía estaba en Roma, asistiendo al Primero Consejo Vaticano cuando el edificio de la iglesia fue dedicado el treinta y uno de julio de mil ochocientos setenta. ¡Los alemanes pudieron no haber perdido el tiempo, pero fueron los Capuchinos los que actualmente eran los constructores reales! El Hermano Félix, muy pronto después de llegar a San Francisco, puso sus habilidades de carpintero al trabajo en el nuevo edificio. No hay ninguna evidencia de que un contratista fuera contratado para este trabajo, entonces sería solamente el trabajo del Hermano Félix. Un otro fraile, el Padre Pascual, hizo la mayoría del torneado y el enlucido.

La nueva iglesia era extremadamente simple, reflejando a la pobreza de los Capuchinos. Había dos altares laterales con estatuas. En el altar principal había, una estructura de madera, tenía una estatua de San Francisco. La iglesia no tenía muchas cosas, parecía más como una sala sin decorar que albergaba casi seiscientas personas.

Recuerden que hay una diferencia entre una iglesia y una parroquia. Mientras la iglesia fue adjuntada al monasterio, no había una parroquia aun, pues el Obispo Henni todavía estaba en Roma hasta noviembre de mil ochocientos setenta. Pero otra vez, no perdiendo el tiempo, los lideres alemanes en la comunidad respondieron a la solicitud del Obispo Henni de tener por lo menos cien nombres de personas que apoyaron la idea de una nueva parroquia alemán católica en el lado norte de Milwaukee. Una vez que el obispo regreso de Roma, el trabajo comenzó para tener la iglesia reconocida como una parroquia oficial en la ciudad de Milwaukee.